CNC milling, or computer numerical control milling, is a machining process of rotating a cutting tool in a spindled axis to produce a shape or form. The cutting tool is controlled by a specialized computer, which greatly increases reliability and repeatability, while reducing the potential human error.
This process is suitable for machining a wide range of materials, such as metal, plastic, and wood, and producing a variety of custom-designed parts and products. Also, it is good for producing high accuracy, high tolerance parts in prototype, one-off, and small to medium production runs.
CNC milling mainly includes plane milling and contour milling. Due to their versatility, CNC milling machines produce several items, including:
2. Ball joints
6. Valve bodies
Parts that machined by CNC milling process has high precision. Its economic processing precision is IT9-IT7, and the surface roughness Ra is 12.5-1.6um. The precision of the finely milled components can reach up to IT5, and surface roughness can reach up to Ra 0.20um.
1. Greater throughput, 5 times faster on average.
2. Multi machining processes on one fixture.
3. Greater precision,Typically 0.001 inch or better.
4. Store a library of programs to be used repeatedly,easily create multiple copiesand fewer man-hours needed.
5. Complex parts can be made with the versatile milling tools.
check here to know more about milling(machining).